Softball wins three of last four conference games

Photo courtesy calvin.edu.
Photo courtesy calvin.edu.

Last Friday, the Knights hosted the Comets of Olivet for a twinbill. The Knights won both games taking the first 17-4 and the second 13-5. Game two was highlighted by the 16 bases that were stolen.

In the first game, Olivet scored the first run of the game in the first inning. Calvin responded with six runs by sophomores Christie VanderMeer, Trista Brownlee, Merin Cok, Catherine Hilbrands, and juniors Lina Avila and Janelle Agren in the bottom of the first. The Knights batted through the roster before leadoff batter VanderMeer got the second out of the inning.

Olivet recorded two more runs in the third to bring the score to 6-3 in favor of the Knights. The Knights had a big third inning recording eight runs scored by junior Ashley Jakus, Agren, VanderMeer, freshman Lydia Gildea, Avila, Hilbrands, Cok and Agren. The score was then 14-3.

The Knights scored three more runs by VanderMeer, Brownlee and Gildea in the bottom of the fourth. Olivet replied with one more which was not enough to avoid being mercied.

The Knights had five doubles including two by Agren. They also had three triples by VanderMeer, Gilda and freshman Megan Rozeveld. Junior Caitlin Callow got the win for the Knights and is now 3-5 for the season. Agren and Gildea went 3 for 3 to lead the Knights. Agren also had four RBIs.

In the second game of the twinbill, the Knights got on the board first with two runs in the top of the second. Olivet responded with two of their own in the bottom of the inning. Calvin chalked up four more runs in the top of the third and top of the fourth to bring their lead to 10-2. Olivet responded with three runs in the fourth. Freshman Ashley Riemersma homered in the sixth and Agren in the seventh to bring the Knights up 12-5. The Knights won 13-5. The Knights stole 16 bases in this game. Brownlee, also the winning pitcher, headed this aggressive attack stealing five bases. Jakus stole four, Hilbrands two and VanderMeer, Gildea, Bryan, Riemersma and Cok each stole one.

Tuesday, the Knights hosted the St. Mary’s Belles. They split the twinbill winning the first game 8-2 while dropping the second 3-2. In the first game, the winning pitcher was Avila who also belted out a two-run homer in the first to get the ball rolling for the Knights. The Knights went up three runs in the first. The Belles responded with two runs of their own. Calvin scored two more in the second to go up 5-2. Three and a half innings of shutout softball then ensued before the Knights scored three more runs in the sixth for the final runs of the game. They were led by Gildea and Avila who each went 3 for 4. Gildea had three RBIs while Avila had two.

Avila was in the pitcher’s circle to start the second game as well. She threw four innings of shutout ball. Avila scored the first run of the game in the second inning on a home run. This would be the only run of the game until the fifth inning when VanderMeer scored on a double by Brownlee. The Belles responded in the bottom of the fifth with three runs to eventually win the game. The Knights play again on Saturday when they travel to Trine.