Calvin University's official student newspaper since 1907

Calvin University Chimes

Since 1907

Calvin University Chimes

Calvin University Chimes

Collapse or renewal of earth?

We stand at a precipice in human history unlike any we’ve faced before, teetering on the edge of hope and destruction. I think of my children. I think of the children that you some day will have, Calvin students. Most of you will be almost 50 years old by 2050 — what will life be like for you? For your children? For my children? Earth is dying — both people and our environment. I am concerned about our future, and I hope you are too.

In the next 33 years, by the year 2050, our global population will be 9.7 billion people, 2.5 billion more than today. India will surpass China in 2022 as the most populous country on earth. The pressures on physical infrastructure to meet basic needs in developing nations are already enormous — clean water and basic sanitation — what will 2050 bring? The global poor have improved conditions and hope in some areas; praise God for the Millennium Development Goals. Yet there remains nearly 750 million people living on less than $2 a day. That is 10 percent of people on earth. Oh, and nearly 200 million orphans around the world. Calvin College students, take notice.

Is climate change real? I will tell you what is real — the rise of CO2. Oh yes, carbon dioxide increase is unprecedented in human history. Oceans are acidifying at dramatic rates because they uptake the massive carbon dioxide, changing ocean pH levels. By 2050, coral reefs will be dead and with them many fish — we may over-fish our oceans by then, anyhow. Soils are depleting from monoculture industrial approaches to farming, aquifer recharge is unable to keep up with demand and biographical diversity loss is exponential. Calvin College students, take notice.

I am sure you care, and I hope that you do. We need you. There is no time like present to join the geosciences. We work toward solution, compassionate justice and creation care in GEO. Do you want a job? The Department of Labor Statistics has job growth between 10 and 15 percent over the next ten years. Major in a GEO science: geology, geography, environmental studies or environmental science. If not major, take GEO courses to augment your knowledge in whatever your major. This may sound like a pitch. It absolutely is, because I believe in GEO. We are making a difference, we are framing the future — we persist. Join us as we take on these challenges together. We need you — my children and all children, all future generations, need you. Fulfill your calling in GEO and be an agent of renewal.