Kalamazoo breaks men’s basketball’s winning streak

Beginning with a win against Geneva at Springfield, Ohio, on December 30, 2016, the Calvin men’s basketball team went on a five-win streak, only to be broken this past week by an away game at Kalamazoo.

The Knights had beaten Geneva easily, with a score of 80-57. Next up was Triune, and despite the away disadvantage, Calvin won by a small margin of 66-64. The third victory the Knights secured was against Albion, this time at home. The first half of the game went back and forth, but by the second half Albion had solidified a lead. However, in the last few minutes of the game, Calvin players made crucial shots that closed the gap. The game ended with a close score of  71-70. Unlike the past two games, the fourth and fifth games were won comparatively easily. The Knights played against Olivet next and won by a comfortable margin of 87-69. The next away game at Alma was won 95-86.

This past week on January 18th, the Knights played an away game against Kalamazoo. In the first half, Calvin fell behind to Kalamazoo by nine points. After halftime, the Knights redoubled their efforts to overtake their opponents. Their efforts, however, were matched by the Kalamazoo team. Both team scored 42 points each in the second half. The game ended with the score of 70-79 for Kalamazoo, ending the win streak Calvin had.

On January 16, Calvin junior Michael Wilks was named Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) player of the week. Wilks scored 28 points and 22 points against Alma and Olivet respectively, and was central to Calvin’s five-win streak.