Calvin University's official student newspaper since 1907

Calvin University Chimes

Since 1907

Calvin University Chimes

Calvin University Chimes

Letter to the Editor: 1/23 op-eds

My name is Monica Johnson and I am a senior Social Work major. I am writing you because I read the Chimes that went out on January 20 and I have a discrepancy with your op-ed articles.

The first article, entitled “Love thy Neighbor” in my opinion, and the opinion of other minorities that attend this institution, was written in poor taste. I feel as though the author of the article does not show sensitivity to us as oppressed people, and to those who are speaking out against the oppression that minorities in this country experience daily. The author also mentions Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. as a man of “peace who emphasized tolerance, love, and civility,” which in fact is not an accurate description of his legacy. Yes, he was a man of peace and love, but he was not a man of tolerance. He was considered a radical by whites, as well as black evangelicals. If he was a man of tolerance, he would not have been assassinated in Memphis, Tennessee. If he was a man of tolerance, he would not have been jailed multiple times. I understand what the author was trying to say, but his point was not conveyed correctly and offended many minority students like myself.

The other op-ed article, entitled “Sanctity of human life Sunday,” in my opinion did not show sensitivity to women and their rights to their bodies. Yes, one can be pro-life and believe that every heartbeat deserves to live, but the article could be triggering to women who have had abortions. It is a very psychological and tough process to get an abortion, and a person who does not have a uterus or ovaries should show more sensitivity to women who have had abortions. The use of language such as “the mass-killing of the unborn” was also in poor taste and another phrase should have been used. Thank you for your time.

From

Monica Johnson

Minority Calvin Student