Letter to the Editor: response to anti-Trump article

Romans 8:1 makes it clear there is to be no condemnation for those who are in Christ. Your “Against Trump” op-ed piece failed to recognize this. This article was a thinly veiled condemnation of those who may vote for Trump, while refusing to acknowledge:

1. We have only two real candidates to choose from.

2. Hillary also has a history of un-Christ-like behavior, including the defense of known sexual abusers of women.

3. We constantly hear how our faith shouldn’t play a part in our voting.

I want to focus on the third point. If someone used faith to argue against the legality of same-sex marriage, I’m sure you would argue that it’s not Chimes’ place to advocate this; that there should be a separation between what we believe and who we vote for. But because Chimes pushes one side, it somehow becomes okay? You can see the dichotomy: people are allowed to pick and choose how to use the argument of faith in politics based on if it helps or hurts your argument. And that’s wrong.

Trump isn’t a good candidate and I understand there are many reasons people don’t want to vote for him, but bringing faith into it is wrong. Trump’s opponent’s actions aren’t of Christ, ranging from dishonesty to the shaming of her husband’s alleged sexual victims. If this op-ed piece spoke for one person, I wouldn’t have a huge issue, but Chimes decided to speak as an institution. Because of this, I feel it my duty to give the other side of the argument. I hope you feel the same.