Comedy Showcase brings laughter to the CFAC

Nite Life presented their comedy showcase to Calvin this past Saturday, and judging by the howling laughter and extended applause, the featured acts brought their ‘A-game.’

To start off the show, past-year alumnus Michael Ribbens made a triumphant return to Calvin in the form of his stand-up. He knew how to please the audience from the beginning; he was very comfortable on stage as he spouted jokes about different topics relevant to Calvin students and college students in general. One particular stand-out joke involved the post-apocalyptic scenario that a true “Chaos Night” would bring (perhaps we’re not trying hard enough). Calvin jokes weren’t the only trick up his sleeve, however; gags involving scientific inaccuracies in the “Ice Age” films and an unfortunate “X-Man” only magnetic to forks also hit hard with the crowd.

Next up, Calvin’s very own Improv team made an appearance. As to be expected from the nature of improv, their segment was probably the most zany of the three, and the audience ate it up. Audience suggestions and on-the-spot creativity led to such scenarios as baking a Thanksgiving Spam, spitting on a garden as a proper horticultural technique and getting a pet squirrel stuck in a toilet. Unintentional comedy also ensued in the form of confusion about which direction is clockwise or counterclockwise in the rotation game.

Finally, headliner Marina Franklin (“Trainwreck,” “The Chapelle Show”) ended the evening on a high note. Her stand-up mainly focused on the difficulties of fitting in while growing up, adjusting to majority-white and majority-black neighborhoods as her family moved and on some of her unsuccessful dating exploits. Even though these scenarios brought her frustration in the moment, her work editorializing demonstrates that unfavorable situations can oftentimes be used to bring about blessings like raucous laughter in the long run.

Overall, the three acts of the showcase seemed to exceed the audience’s expectations. From the familiar to the fresh, laughter rang throughout the auditorium.