Homecoming evolves as time passes

Photo from PRISM archives

As fall commences, the 63-year long Calvin Homecoming tradition brings alumni back to their alma mater. Calvin may not have a football team like other schools whose homecoming celebrations are centered around game day, but that doesn’t stop the alumni association from planning great events for everyone to enjoy. As we look forward to this memorable weekend, we also reflect on how the tradition has evolved over time.

During the early years of Homecoming, the celebration included floats, a parade, a homecoming court and even performances of classic musicals by the Calvin Alumni Players. The gym was filled with tables displaying graduation years for alumni to mingle and catch up with past peers.

Michael Van Denend, director of alumni, parent and community relations at Calvin, provides insight on how the celebration has evolved over the years: “Calvin’s Homecoming tradition started in 1952 and was always in January or February, scheduled around a Saturday men’s basketball game. … Over the years, the interest in a winter Homecoming faded with older alumni. In 2011, Homecoming was moved to the fall because of the declining alumni interest in February attendance and to take advantage of the warmer weather and beautiful autumn colors. The event was also linked to Family Weekend since there are many alumni parents of current Calvin students, giving these grads more reason to come back to Calvin.”

Taylor Greenfield, alumni and annual giving program coordinator, mentioned how Homecoming at Calvin provides a unique, meaningful experience: “For many other schools homecoming is about sporting events, and one of the really charming things about Calvin is that homecoming is actually about coming home and seeing all of the familiar things that you love and that you want to remember and reliving memories.”

One of the main goals of Homecoming weekend is not only to celebrate the past, but also to allow current students and alumni to connect, “making sure that students and alumni have the opportunity to engage and that alumni really feel like they’re back on campus. One of the biggest parts about that is having students around and seeing the energy that we have, so the tailgater that we’re having on Saturday afternoon is open to everybody.” It will take place from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the TNT of the Fieldhouse. The dining halls will be closed, so anyone on a meal plan will have the opportunity to enjoy the festivities and food. Not only will there be food, but there will also be games provided by Nite Life and a photo booth.

Calvin’s homecoming weekend, Oct. 23-24, will be packed with various activities for current students and alumni. Some of the activities and events include the Calvin Music Festival, open rock climbing for alumni and families, the yearly Cardboard Canoe Race, diving, volleyball, hockey, soccer and lacrosse games, as well as a tour of the art gallery and a performance by The Second City Improv with the Calvin Improv team Saturday. A new and special event taking place this year is the Maroon and Gold Gala for alumni to attend at the John Ball Zoo, on October 24 at 7:30 p.m. Campus will surely be buzzing with activity as families and alumni arrive to celebrate Calvin College and its rich traditions. Search “Homecoming” on Calvin’s website for more information regarding events.

For a full schedule of events check out Calvin’s website!